As many of you know there is an event going on right now called Stash Dash, I hinted to it a few posts back. This event every year is to challenge yourself to knit as much of your stash and complete projects languishing on the needles. It’s not just knitting, spinning, weaving, and even machine knitting make an appearance in this event. While listening to one of my knitting podcasts a few weeks ago while driving up to Berkeley (I do this every week), the KnitMoreGirls talked about stash dash. I remember them talking about it in years past, but never really decided to participate. This year when I heard them talking about it, I decided this was the year to do it. My stash has grown so much recently (the past 2 years or so) that I am out of storage space. With the looming reality that I will be moving out and the idea of having to move the stash freaked me out a little, I knew I needed to knit it down. The machines will play a part in this of course, but I need to do some spinning and hand knitting too. The socks I just finished count towards this, about 340 meters. That’s a good start but I need more meters to get through more of the stash.
Remember The Joker and the Thief I started recently? It’s going quite nicely, I’m really hoping that it grows like I think it will when I block it. I think it will but it has about 900 meter potential when it’s done. That’s pretty good, I have the rhythm of the pattern going and it’s pretty good autopilot knitting, except for two rows I have to pay attention to. Super happy with how it’s looking though and I’m doing something I always try to do with multi color knitting, weave in ends as I go. There are a lot of ends already, I’m really glad I started weaving in the ends as I go.
But that’s not enough meterage, I’m falling behind in how much I want to have done by the end. I think I’m going to need to get the machines going again. I haven’t used them in a while, but they’ll blow through yarn like crazy. The sweater I started a while ago just needs the collar made and then attached. Also needs a sleeve added into the body and the ends woven, but that is almost 6 skeins of yarn to count towards the goal. Maybe with the remaining bits I can make some socks and get the full meterage. I think I’ll have some good ideas to get a lot of meters for this challenge.