Most of you know by now that I live in California, which for us here fall is weather that is below 68 degrees. It’s been ranging lately between 42 to 72 degrees, however it doesn’t feel like the high of 72. Everyone here freaks out when there are clouds, rain (AKA. water from the sky), weather cooler then 68 degrees, or some trees changing colors. They start bundling up in scarves, hats, winter coats, boots, you name it they’re wearing it. For me I don’t do the bundle up, because I’m honorary Canadian, as I was told from one of my Canadian Knitting friends. I am not completely impervious to cold weather, but I don’t feel cold like most. Which means I don’t get to wear my knits as much as I would like to, but I did pull something out of the archives earlier.
I wore for a little bit the Caldwell vest that I knit a few years ago knit out of Madelinetosh DK in Ink and Composition Book Grey. It’s just enough to keep my torso warm, which is perfect. I remembered that I had yarn to make another vest but I hadn’t really acted on it. The yarn was in my stash for about 2-3 years, with this pattern in mind. I lost all notes I had about the gauge swatch that I made, or so I thought. My cleverness was at least still there at that time, because I put the number of knots on one of the ends to be the same as the needle size. So I had 8 small knots, which meant I used a size 8 needle. By the way, I recommend doing this because it will help later down the line, as it helped me, however this is not my technique, I can’t remember who talked about it.
With the needles (which are huge compared to what I usually use) I cast on, on Friday and set to work. I don’t have a lot of time to knit and not a lot of bandwidth still, but I have managed to get past the armholes and into the upper chest on the back of the vest. I’m really hoping that I bought enough yarn for this project, but I think once it’s done it’s going to be nice. The yarn is Madelinetosh (of course) Tosh DK in Stargazing and Mooreland, the pattern is Strönd. I’m still uncertain of how I’m going to do the clasps for the ending, but I think that will come once I’m ready to put them in. Maybe I’ll still use the same kinds of toggles that was used in the pattern, maybe I’ll fashion one of my own that is similar, not sure yet. Still have to finish the back and the 2 fronts. Pictures to follow, want to get some good pictures for it since the color is pretty stunning, a little more of a darker stargazing.