As an unexpected turn of events I can spin just fine when my body isn’t happy with me. I’ve been going a little spin crazy lately. Remember that spinion yarn, well it’s plied, skeins, washed, and reskeined. It’s gorgeous but a little knotty, standard three ply meant I had some left over on two bobbins. So naturally I wanted to get all of the yardage from the fiber so I did some navajos plying. Which had some breaks because I spun the fiber a little too thin in some places. It was a wonder it went onto the bobbin when spinning the single in the first place, but I digress. I used up all of the singles, which gave the yarn a little more in the way of yardage but also in the way of knots. There were about 8 of them, which is something I try to avoid as much as possible. But there was not much that I could do about it, so I pressed on. If you’re wondering my normal process is to wind the yarn on my skein winder, set to 2 yards. I then will wind it counting the number of rotations, since I found my yardage counter was very off. So after it’s wound and the tangle reducing extra yarn is applied it gets the bath. I let it soak for about 10-15 minutes making sure the water is all in the yarn. Then it’s gently squeezed, given a good thwack, since it’s a BFL, and then rolled into a towel the excess water removed. I then let it lay to dry and once it is, I wind it into a smaller skein that would be easier for most swifts. For this skein I made a small custom label for it, most of the time I just stick a small label thats attached to a string on the yarn, which tells pertinent information. But for this one since it’s a Spinion yarn, I had to do something fun with it. I had this in my mind for a while and I think it’s quite funny.
In total it was about 442 Yards of a nice 3-ply fingering weight. I showed the picture to the recipient yesterday of it on the bobbin still and she got excited. I’m hoping that she likes it in person even more. It’s a great PigeonRoof Studios fiber, the color way is unknown since the tag has gone missing over time. Wait hold that thought I just found it, the color is Saffron. It’s a gorgeous color and I’m not a big fan or orange or yellow, but I even like this one. I would keep it for myself, but it’s not for me. But there is another yarn that I finished that I can show as well. There was some GreenWood Fiber Arts that has been on my wheel for quite some time now and I got the singles done a few days ago. Now the plying is done and it’s just finishing drying. When I saw the yardage count I was taken aback a little bit. It’s approximately 714 yards of a very fine weight, I don’t know the WPI exactly, but it ha to be at least 28+. The exact fiber is a 50/50 Merino Silk in the color way Arcade which is bright and vibrant. I spun the entire roving in one long strand, to preserve the colors as much as possible for a nice 3-ply, which was a Navajo ply. It didn’t hit me until I was taking off the yarn from the bobbin just how fine it was spun.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
With that done I chose another fiber to spin and what I was going to do with the new yarn I spun as well. I’m thinking for the yarn I’m going to weave it with a neutral weft to make a more subdued scarf, but I think I’ll need to use a double heddle technique to get it to weave at the right “gauge.” As for the next fiber I picked out a bit of Miss Babs fiber, which she doesn’t have any of this on the website right now. It’s a 50/30/20 Merino/Bamboo/Silk blend in the color way “Shaken not Stirred” which was from a falling down I had a few years ago when she was having a post holiday sale.
It’s quite a color, which is a complete contrast to what I was spinning before. But this is going to be another 3-ply Navajo yarn, which I think will be quite nice. Not sure what it will turn out to be once it’s yarn but that’s for future me to decide. I think I’ll do a little more knitting today and maybe some weaving if I can get myself to pull out the loom again.