Now I remember what my last post was supposed to be about, which now will be a good Segway into this post. When I finished the Brickless for my mom, I knew I needed to start a new more interesting knitting project. So I was going through my queue on Ravelry and I have been pretty good at moving things up and down the queue in order of what I want to knit first. I wanted to make my self a nice sweater for myself, since I have not made one in a while. Even though I know my body shape is not where it’s going to be eventually, I knew I needed to knit on one that was quick. So I pulled out my needles and some yarn that I won and decided to swatch. I read the gauge on Ravelry and disregarded what the pattern said until I printed it out. Yes I printed out the pattern, I do like having a nice print pattern on occasion. That’s besides the point, so I printed out the pattern and was looking at the sizing and I glanced at the gauge in the pattern. Ravelry said that it was over stockinette, but the pattern said gauge was over the main sweater pattern. Oops, I was impatient so I cast on the number I needed and went to town. Halfway through the back I was looking at it and knew that it was going to be too narrow, so I did what any sane knitter would do, I blocked the hell out of it. I hopped that I could continue with the knitting and not have to worry. But we all know how these things go, they don’t end very well. The piece finished blocking and was not the right size, about 2-4 inches too narrow. So this will need to be frogged, but not forgotten, I will be making that pattern again at some point. But with just viajante on the needles I needed to start something new. I have not blocked it yet, that’s something I need to do today.
Well I did finish viajante, it is very nice, should be very warm and I think that it will look good. Through I am not sure I can pull this offthe way I think I could. We will just have to wait and see I think, for now it just needs a good blocking. But since I have been sick for a few days now, no need to worry the coughing is getting the most of it out of my system now, I needed to knit on something new. I had something at the top of my queue that I have been wanting to knit on for a while. This pattern is from the Jared Flood collection, Anisos which is a gorgeous shawl/shawlette that most people have made in a solid color. I knew what I wanted to make it out of something fun and exciting and when I bought the yarn I knew that was the project for it. The yarn in question is Apple Tree Knits Plush Fingering Gradient in the colorway Murderous. This gorgeous shades of red, maroon, and black I think will look very spectacular in that pattern. So yesterday I started working on it, not knowing that it is constructed from the bottom up. I read through the pattern, as much as I needed to, to get started. So I went ahead and did the insanely high numbered picot cast on and got ready to start the chart. Normally I don’t use markers, but in this case I needed something to keep me making the pattern work. Then I started and it looked like I had about 100 more stitches then I should have. I checked the math on the pattern and everything looked good except with my calculations I was still off. I kept working on the number and looked at the chart again, then I saw that I missed one simple instruction, “repeat chart twice in a row” and I almost lost it. I started at it, not believing I missed this instruction, redid the excel calculations, yes excel I like it, and guess what the numbers matched. I was not sure what I was going to do next, continue knitting, swear at myself, stare and the wall and think about not knitting ever again and take up something like reading. Even though I am apparently not good at reading directions or anything.
Now that that was done I was able to continue with the knitting, which is quite fun actually. I had to ditch using the paper pattern and use a digital pattern on my tablet, with a PDF reader. I’m about halfway through the first of two charts and am liking how this is going so far. But now that my easy project, yet time sucking, is done now I needed something easy. So I pulled out a skein of Biscotte yarns and pulled out the Geek socks pattern and started working. As I watched the beautiful colors started to stripe, I knew that the pattern would not work with this color. So I had to decide if I was going to just work a plain sock or knit another pattern. I remembered there is an infamous pattern I have been hearing about, so I looked it up and the number I cast on would work. The pattern I am talkin about is of course, Vanilla is the New Black socks. I am almost at the heel and I only started these before bed last night. I am liking how they are going so far and the yarn is amazing. It’s just a Merino Nylon blend, but it feels like it has cashmere in it. If you have not checked out Biscotte Yarns you should. I think I’m going to bindge watch some Netflix, with knitting, and some good Robitussin and go to town.